Whether you or a child you know has experienced the loss of a loved one, Rainbow Kidz is here to help you find healing and support during this difficult time.
Rainbow Kidz is a unique community resource dedicated to meeting the specials needs of children and their families. Rainbow Kidz programming is offered at no cost to families or schools and encompasses an array of services provided by licensed clinical social workers, including:
- Weekly in-school grief support groups for children who have experienced a loss; groups are offered in Iredell-Statesville and Mooresville Graded Schools as well as private and charter schools throughout Iredell County.
- Emergency community bereavement support in area schools following the loss of a student or staff member.
- One-on-one grief counseling for children who have experienced the death of a loved one.
- Grief support for infant loss.
- Specialized care for children and families undergoing palliative or hospice care.
- Additional programming including a holiday gathering in November, summer programs, Camp Rainbow — a free, week-long camp for children experiencing grief and loss — and a grief support program for children at the Boys & Girls Club of the Piedmont.
- Resources and tools to help parents better communicate with their children regarding grief and loss.
Here is the story of Rainbow Kidz, those we serve and the benefits our program provides.
2017 Camp Rainbow
Rainbow Kidz Programming
HPCIC offers free bereavement counseling to the community. Group sessions and individual counseling are available upon request.
Specialized medical care for people suffering with serious illnesses focused on symptom management and improving quality of life.
A holistic approach to medical care offering pain management and emotional and spiritual support for patients facing life-limiting illnesses.
One-on-one counseling sessions are available to children when grief groups are not available or when program counselors deem necessary.
Rainbow Kidz provides weekly group counseling and grief education in Iredell County schools to children who are experiencing grief and related issues following the death of a loved one. New groups begin each semester and are coordinated with school staff. Grief groups are offered at no cost.
Camp Rainbow is a week-long free summer camp for children that are experiencing grief following the death of a loved one. Camp Rainbow offers a mix of fun activities and a structured creative curriculum to foster coping and healing.
- American Hospice Foundation
- This site includes a wide range of articles focused on supporting grieving children, from tips on writing condolence notes to information about how to handle crises in schools.
- Children’s Grief Education Association
- The CGEA is dedicated to serving the needs of grieving children and families and to providing education and support to those who serve them.
- Compassion Books
- Compassion Books offers resources to help children and adults through serious illness, death and grief.